1715 Pratt Drive
Suite 2700Blacksburg, Virginia 24060
Suite 800Charlottesville, Virginia 22902
Mike is a shareholder at LeClairRyan and serves as chair of the Firm’s Venture Capital practice. He also is a member of the Firm’s BioPharma and Energy teams. He focuses his practice on and customarily acts as lead counsel in connection with debt and equity financings, mergers and acquisitions, strategic alliances, joint ventures, management buyouts, intellectual property licensing transactions and a variety of domestic and international transactions. Mike currently serves as general counsel to a number of emerging companies, including medical device, bioinformatics, pharmaceutical, diagnostics, manufacturing and distribution, alternative energy, medical information technology, internet, and high-tech research and development companies. He also serves as counsel to a growing angel investor network and has served on the board of directors of client companies. Mike currently serves as co-chair of the Steering Committee for the Greater Roanoke and Blacksburg Regional Innovation Blueprint and Action Plan, a regional initiative of the Roanoke-Blacksburg Technology Council.
Mike currently serves as general counsel to two pharmaceutical companies; three medical device companies and two bioinformatics companies; and he has extensive experience in the medical data management field.
He has worked on the following transactions in the BioPharma industry: organization of companies; and employment and incentive compensation agreements; numerous rounds of financing, ranging from friends and family to institutional venture capital; sale of a BioPharma company; numerous licensing deals, including but not limited to outlicensing key science from a variety of universities; contract manufacturing agreements; and clinical trial agreements.
In addition to his extensive general counsel experience in the BioPharma industry, Mike currently serves as general counsel to two companies in the alternative energy field, a France-based biofuel/biochem company building a pilot plant in Southwest Virginia and a fuel emulsion company whose technology reduces NOX, CO2 and particulate emissions. He also represents a company that produces magnetic bearings with applications in the alternative energy field.
LeClairRyan, Charlottesville and Blacksburg, Virginia, 1993 – present
Thompson & McMullan, Richmond, Virginia, 1989 – 1993
Mays & Valentine, Richmond, Virginia, 1986 – 1989
Memberships and Affiliations
- American, Virginia and Montgomery County Associations
- Virginia Biotechnology Association (VaBio): Board of Directors
- NewVa Corridor Technology Council (NCTC): Board of Directors; Co-Chairman Greater Roanoke/Blacksburg Regional Innovation Blueprint and Action Plan
- Charlottesville Venture Group (CVG): Board of Directors
- Virginia Technology Capital Access Forum: Founding Chair
- Member U.S. Chamber of Commerce Emerging Technologies Committee
- Board of Directors and Executive Committee, 2008 LEAD Virginia; Chairman 2009 Alumni Association; Alumni, 2007 class
- The CRC President’s Award, April 2011
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America in 2008, 2009, 2011 and 2012 in the specialties of Biotechnology Law, Corporate Law, Information Technology Law, International Trade and Finance Law, Technology Law and Venture Capital Law
- Selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America, 2010 edition in the specialties of Biotechnology Law, Corporate Law, Information Technology Law and Venture Capital Law
- Virginia Leader Award, LEAD Virginia, 2010
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America in 2007 in the specialties of Corporate Law, Technology Law and Venture Capital Law